Friday, January 10, 2014

5 Ways I am going to be a better person in 2014

So I have always thought that I am a good person, and I still think that I am but I have done some soul searching and realized a few things about me that don't make me that great of one.  I used the first few weeks of 2014 to really think about my life, the person that I think I am, and the person that other people seem to think I am and those 2 don't seem to match up and that doesn't make me very happy.  So I have decided that there are 5 ways for me to be a better person in 2014.

1.  Stop the negativity
Hunter wakes up every morning, after every nap with a smile on his face.  He LOVES life and I want to be like that.  I use to be like that!  Always with a smile on my face, laughing and enjoying life.  These days I feel like I hang my head, cry more than laugh and let a negative attitude control my day.  Not anymore!

I plan to be more positive in the way I live my life.  How will I do that you ask?  Simple, spend more time with positive thoughts.  Yes, that might seem hard for someone who has let her negative mind take over but we are talking baby steps here.  My plan is to each day wake up with a positive affirmation about my life.  It might be the same one over and over a few days but it is what I will be doing.  When negative thoughts come into my mind or I hear something negative I am going to do my best to brush it off and not let it affect me.  I do have a tendency to let things really get to me, that might be my over sensitive heart but I think it is time to not let others affect me so much.  I am the one in control of my life not those that think negatively about me.

I plan to try my best at stopping the negative talk.  This just infects everyone around me and I don't want to be someone that brings other people down.  If you are around me and hear me start talking negative give me swift kick in the rear...or at least remind me of being a better person.  The biggest part of this is watching how I speak about Matt to others.  People have gotten the wrong view of my husband and I might be at fault for that and that hurts me.  Matt is one of the sweetest, kindest, understand man I know.  He loves big!  Does he have faults, but don't we all.  He at least will own up to his and for that I am thankful because there are people in this world who don't.  My job as his wife is to lift him up not tear him down.  He would do anything for anyone in this world no matter the circumstances and I need to be more of an uplifting wife instead of the one that brings up the faults.  Believe me, I know that Matt is not out there talking to people about my faults because he is a better person than that :)
These 2 deserve a wife/mom that is full of joy and happiness.

2.  Laugh More
Laughing is the best medicine and if you don't think so, find a small child and tickle the daylights out of them and tell me their laugh is not infectious and makes your whole day better.  Hunter has a laugh that would light up the darkest room and the reason I know that is because in the last week when my heart was very dark with pain his laugh gave me peace, and hope, and my first laugh in days.  I have a pretty darn funny husband (although don't tell him I have admitted that) and he makes me laugh EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.  It is the best and even though I laugh every day with my family, I want to laugh more often.  It is contagious...just try it.

3.  Be a better friend
I let things get to me more than I should with my friends.  If I put something out there and no one responds it hurts my feelings (yes that is the over sensitive part of me) and that is not what good friends do.  Friends understand that life is busy and people can't do/afford everything.  I want to try and not let the little things get to me and be a better friend.  I want to be someone my friends feel like they can come to with anything and know that I will have an open heart and open arms anytime.  I have some people great friends, actual people should be jealous of me because of them and I want to be great for them, they deserve it.  So I will be there for them more, talk to them more about there life and LISTEN when they talk instead of saying something about my life.  I will try and talk it all in and just be with them because I love them all dearly and want to be there for them how they have been there for me.



4.  Play More
I am going to play more.  That is with Hunter, with Matt, with the animals, with anyone.  I will put down the phone, the ipad, the computer and play.  Hunter is thriving for my attention at night and I need to give that to him.  To be a better person in 2014 I need to be a better mom.  When it is not freakishly cold (yes, this is cold for a Texas girl) I want to be outside, exploring the bugs, chasing the dogs, getting as dirty as we possible can because that is what life is all about.  Have fun, being with the people I love and exploring new things.

5. Find my faith
Now this one may seem weird to some of you because you think, I thought she was a Christian?  I am, and I have a relationship with God but I want it to be deeper, more meaningful, etc.  How do I do this?  I am not sure.  I go to church on Sundays, I read the bible and I pray but I don't 'feel' it.  I can't seem to 'let go and let God'.  How will having this make me a better person in 2014?  I fell like everything above can be help with having Christ the center of my life.  To lose negativity I should feel my life with love, happiness and more and what more can I do that bring God into that?  Overall, being a better person for me can be summed up in being a better child of Christ.

So this is how I will be a better person in 2014.  How will you be a better person, wife, mother, friend, father, etc in 2014?

No comments:

Layout